Why I should travel with GGE
Your trip with GGE will provide you with the inside look at Mongolia in the way only we can share. We have over 20 years of experience, so we are the experts when it comes to travel to Mongolia.
Whilst there is plenty of general competition, we feel that our company is
truly unique in the adventure travel market and the high percentage of clients who travel with us again and again isn’t down to chance. Using passionate and knowledgeable guides, as well as a dedicated and experienced office staff, we are able to provide unique and original itineraries that allow our clients to take a journey beneath the surface of the region, into those special and secret places.
We are experts when it comes to travel in Mongolia. One of co-owners is author of Mongolian red book, owners of company both Professors and Dr-s of Mongolian National Univerisities. They travelled themselves to every corner of the country.
By keeping the group sizes small we can allow for a greater degree of flexibility and cater to individual needs and this unobtrusive ‘low impact’ tourism gives travelers a chance to get off the beaten track without damaging the places we visit. In addition, a percentage of the trip profits are used to fund various NGO’s and local communities in Mongolia so that everyone – travelers and locals alike – benefit from the experience.
All members of Great Genghis Tours & Expeditions are Mongolians with a passion for travel and intense love for our homeland, which we delight in showing to visitors. Our tours are designed for those who enjoy traveling in style and comfort while still experience a bit of adventure.
We always welcome any individual request and our tours can be varied to meet any particular needs. We are able to offer tailor-made itineraries for a family, honeymooners, & friends. We would offer the program that is perfect for your interest and budget.
How can I get a visa?
Single entry, one month tourist visa can be obtained at the Mongolian Embassy and Consular Office abroad. It is not possible to get visa at the airport upon arrival for those travelers, who lives in the country with Mongolian Embassy, Consular office or Honorary Councils.
For all our clients we send VISA SUPPORT LETTER
How do I get to Mongolia?
MIAT is the national carrier of Mongolia operating out of Berlin, Moscow, Seoul, Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, Irkutsk, in the summer Osaka, Frankfurt flights will be added. Apart from this airline the following airlines have scheduled flights to/ from Mongolia: Air China, Aeroflot, Korean Air, Turkish airline. Additionally Mongolian airlines operate charter flights to/from Bangkok, Cheju, Vietnam.
There are trains to/from Ulaanbaatar from Beijing and Moscow (Ulan-Ude, Irkutsk) (Trans-Siberian)
There are three border towns you could pass on your own auto: Sukhbaatar (From Russia),
Zamiin Ud (from China)
Tsagaan Nuur (from Russia, Gornii Altai/Kazakhsatan)
What is the weather like?
The best time to travel in Mongolia is between the months of May and September. The weather during this time varies considerably from region to region. The highest rainfall period is in July and August, however, there most of the days have glorious sunshine during this time. Early spring, especially in May, is known for its windy days. As a general guide here is some information about temperatures.
What level of fitness do I need to join the riding and hiking trips?
Travel in Mongolia is taxing – whether you are sitting in a vehicle or on horseback you should be prepared for an active journey. However, our riding and hiking trips can only be described as moderate. Any one with a reasonable level of fitness can join the trips. Horse riding in Mongolia is relatively easy. We provide the gentlest horses for our clients. Camels in Mongolia are two-humped and are extremely comfortable to ride. No prior experience is necessary. On all our trips the guides will instruct you before the riding commences with some general rules about riding in Mongolia. Should you have any doubt as to your level of fitness or ability to join a trip please get in touch with us.
What is it like on tour?
Ulaanbaatar: Wide range of hotels available:
- International chain hotels such as Shangri La, Novotel, Kempinskii, Best Western, Ramada
- Nice local 3*, 4*, 5* hotels such as: Bayangol, Chinggis khan, Ulaanbaatar, Khovsgol lake, Spings, Corporate …etc
Countryside: - depending on your tour your will stay either in ger or in tent.
- Tourist Ger camps – You will sleep in ger. Ger is the Mongolian traditional dwelling, made by wood and covered by felt. It is warm enough and proper bed and bedding, bath and hand towels will be provided. You are advised to bring only your toiletries. Ger doesn’t have a room for sanitary facilities, so tourist ger camps have separate blocks for sanitary facility. It has flush water toilet and hot water shower, generally each tourist ger camp has 3-6 toilets and showers for men and 3-6 toilets and showers for women.
- Tent – in the areas where is not available hotels, ger camps you will sleep in tent. Tent, mats are provided. You are advised to bring your 4 season sleeping bag, bath & hand towels, toiletries. If you want to have more comfort advised to bring air matt.
- Meals. There are various restaurants in the city to meet your gourmet needs. When you go to countryside, the choices will be narrowed, but at the ger camps you will find cozy comfortable restaurants with variety of European and Asian food. During the tented camping trips will accompany professional cook with a great experience of cooking at outdoors will serve you with variety of hot fresh made meals three times a day and you will be amazed by their professionalism. There will be 1L bottle of water provided per client per day.
- Transportation. In the city there will be tourist buses with air conditioning.
When you head countryside, there will be various vehicles used, depending on route and group size. It could be 4WD jeeps or minivans. Definitely our client would be our first concern, so we provide vehicles as comfortable as possible. Most importantly, they are safe and well maintained with drivers, who are experienced in driving in Mongolian conditions. Roads in the countryside are mostly unpaved, but hard surfaced.
- Restrooms. All tourist ger camps are equipped with standard shower and toilet facilities, with hot and cold water. During the camping trip there will toilet and shower tents established at each campsite. Warm, day temperature water would be available all the time.
- Staff. From arrival to departure there will be foreign language speaking guide accompany you all the way, as well as drivers. On camping trip there will be additional staff, like cook, assistant cook, campsite assistant, camelmen and horsemen. On our long duration expeditions and adventures, with a group of more than 6 people a local trek leader will join the group along with guide.
Do I need special travel insurance for your trip?
All clients are expected to have personal travel insurance adequate for the region they are traveling to.
I'm traveling on my own - will everyone else be in couples?
Although we get a fair amount of couples, the majority of our clients are single travelers. If you would like to avoid single supplements, we are happy to pair you with a same sex room companion for the trip.
On your group trips, what is the maximum group size?
On our trips the maximum group size is 16. We believe that although it might be less profitable, it is imperative for the kind of travel we offer that the group size is small. By taking really small groups we make less of an impact, can get more involved in the communities we visit and be more flexible with itineraries.
What is included in the price of our tour?
Our tours are provided on a predominantly full board basis, with mineral water, government passes and permits, entrance fees and all transport outlined in the various tour itineraries.